Police release shocking footage of car ploughing into pedestrians

Still image from the CCTV footage released by police of a hit and run in Canvey Picture: ESSEX POLIC

Still image from the CCTV footage released by police of a hit and run in Canvey Picture: ESSEX POLICE - Credit: ESSEX POLICE

A teenager has been jailed after stealing his father’s car just a week after passing his driving test and crashing it into five men on a pavement before running away.

Max Maxwell, 18, lost control of the BMW after performing an overtake at high speed as he approached then entered a roundabout in Furtherwick Road, Canvey.

The car swung onto the wrong side of the road, almost colliding with an oncoming vehicle, before mounting the footpath and ploughing into the pedestrians.

The men, who are all friends, had been enjoying a day out on Saturday, April 14 and were on their way to watch the Grand National at a local pub when they were hit.

Maxwell fled from the scene without stopping to check if they were OK.

You may also want to watch:

Officers searched for him before he eventually handed himself in almost 20 hours later.

Maxwell, of Small Gains Avenue, Canvey, pleaded guilty on July 4 to three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, one count of aggravated vehicle taking and one count of driving without insurance.

Most Read

He was today sentenced to three years and three months in a young offenders’ institution.

The teen was also banned from driving for a total of five years, seven months and two weeks and must take an extended driving test when the ban has ended.

The victims, who are all aged in their 20s, have been discharged from hospital and are recovering from their injuries at home.

They have since launched a fundraising appeal for Essex and Herts Air Ambulance in recognition of the care they received.

Essex Police has released shocking CCTV footage of the crash.

Speaking after today’s hearing, senior investigating officer sergeant Steve Holmes said: “Max Maxwell took his father’s car without permission then drove it in such a manner that he endangered the lives of the public.

“He ploughed into the five men, causing some horrific life-changing injuries and ongoing emotional and psychological trauma.

“He had absolutely no concern for them whatsoever and ran away. He then hid from us for almost 20 hours before handing himself in.

“The footage of the collision that we have released today is shocking. It is a miracle that none of the victims were killed.

“I would like to thank them and their families for being patient and understanding throughout this investigation. They have conducted themselves with great dignity, despite having endured the most horrific ordeal.

“I would like to thank members of the public who assisted them at the scene and my police officer and PCSO colleagues who responded to the incident that day or were involved in the investigation.

“I also want to thank staff from the East of England Ambulance Service and the crews of the three air ambulances who treated the victims at the scene.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter