Teen admits devastating school arson

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy has today admitted setting fire to a school which was devastated by the resulting blaze.

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy has today admitted setting fire to a school which was devastated by the resulting blaze.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty at Ipswich Crown Court to committing arson on August 5 last year.

St Felix Middle School in Newmarket was destroyed by the blaze, leaving its 400 pupils forced to move to an alternative site.

A written basis of plea was submitted to the court on behalf of the Newmarket teenager who has previous convictions.


You may also want to watch:


Judge Neil McKittrick ordered an “all options open” pre-sentence report and told the boy to return to court on February 13 to be sentenced.

Speaking after the hearing Jane Bailey, deputy Mayor of Newmarket, said she hoped the guilty plea could mean the town would begin to put the devastating episode behind it.

Most Read

She said: “It was a very upsetting episode for the town, the pupils, staff and past pupils. I am pleased they caught someone and this can be done and dusted.”

A Suffolk County Council spokesman said: “The fire at St Felix Middle School in August last year affected the whole community.

“Officers from the county council, staff from St Felix and the other schools in the Newmarket area pulled together to ensure the young people were able to continue their education at the start of the autumn term.

“All pupils and staff have now returned to the site in high quality accommodation.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus