Teen caught stealing baby formula told Tesco manager ‘I have 16 children’
- Credit: Archant
A shoplifter claimed he had 16 children to feed when caught leaving Tesco with a trolley full of baby formula.
Marius Stanica travelled from Canning Town, East London, to steal baby milk, clothes and food from the Tesco Extra store in Newmarket.
The 19-year-old unemployed Romanian national admitted theft at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, in Ipswich, on Monday.
The court heard how Stanica attempted to leave with a trolley full Aptamil baby formula and clothing, covered with large multi-pack bags of crisps, to the total value of £389.03, at about 4.30pm on February 24.
A second man fled the store but Stanica was apprehended, telling the store manager he had 16 children to feed when asked why he had stolen such a large amount of formula.
You may also want to watch:
He offered to pay for the goods with his aunt’s card, but payment was refused and Stanica was arrested.
He was ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work and pay the court £135.
- 1 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 2 A12 closed following serious collision
- 3 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 10 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station