Teenager home after 'miracle' recovery

A TEENAGER left fighting for survival after a road crash which claimed the life of his best friend has been allowed home from hospital after a "miracle" recovery.

A TEENAGER left fighting for survival after a road crash which claimed the life of his best friend has been allowed home from hospital after a "miracle" recovery.

Last night, Jonathan Headley's family spoke of their delight after he recovered from devastating head injuries which left him unconscious for four days and with a potentially life-threatening blood clot.

Jonathan, 18, who looks set to make a full recovery, was with his school friend Trey Vickroy, also 18, when the accident happened on the B1107 road only 12 days ago.

The pair, both the sons of American airmen serving at RAF Mildenhall, were on their way to meet friends at a local bowling alley when their car struck a tree along the dangerous stretch.

Trey died almost instantly and Jonathan was left with critical injuries in Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.

Last night his stepmother, Lori, said how lucky she and the rest of her family felt to have Jonathan back home.

Most Read

But she also told of the terrifying moment she received the phone call about the crash, as well as her heartache at having to break the news to her son that his friend had not survived.

"Jonathan's dad Jay was out of the country at the time and I was at home with our four other children when I was told about the accident," said Mrs Headley, of Boston End, in Thetford.

"A friend drove me to Addenbrooke's Hospital that night but Jonathan was unconscious and heavily sedated when I got there."

Airman Headley, a Master Sergeant at RAF Mildenhall, was flown home so he could be with his son on the day after the accident, which happened at 7.50pm on March 13.

"The first two days were the worst and it was very touch and go, but after that he started to make a recovery which was just wonderful," said Mrs Headley.

"He woke up for the first time on March 17, four days after the accident, but he didn't remember anything about what had happened and we had to explain everything to him, which was very hard because he did not realise that Trey had been killed."

Jonathan, who studies at the RAF Lakenheath High School, was allowed home on Tuesday , but has been told he must return to hospital in six months' time to have a metal plate inserted into his head.

Mrs Headley said: "It was such relief to have him home and now we are just giving him as much time as he needs to recover.

"It was very difficult for Jonathan to take in what had happened and although we think it has sunk in now it will take him a long time to completely come to terms with the accident.

"Jonathan had been friends with Trey for a long time and we met his parents at his memorial service last Thursday.

"We told them that they are in our thoughts and prayers, and it made us realise just how lucky we are that Jonathan is still alive and that we can be a family again."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter