Teens detained after violent attack on 13-year-old boy filmed and posted on social media
- Credit: Lucy taylor
Two teenagers have been detained in a young offender institution after one assaulted a younger boy while the other filmed the incident.
One of the 16-year-old defendants punched the 13-year-old victim to the ground, then repeatedly kicked and punched him in the head and body.
The other defendant filmed the attack and encouraged his friend during the incident, which took place at Witham Town Park in Maldon Road, Witham, on Friday, June 8.
Footage was later circulated on social media.
Both 16-year-olds were arrested and charged with causing actual bodily harm.
You may also want to watch:
They pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Youth Court on Monday, July 23.
The boy who carried out the attack, from Witham, was sentenced to a 12-month detention and training order.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 8 Woman dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
The other boy, from Braintree, was sentenced to a 10-month detention and training order.
Both were also made subject of a restraining order and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge.
Neither teenager, nor the victim, can be identified for legal reasons.
Speaking after the hearing, the victim’s mother said: “I hope that those responsible spend their time in custody reflecting on their behaviour and actions that caused my son a great deal of distress.
“I hope their conviction and sentence will send a message and deter others from committing the same type of crime in the future.”
Detective Inspector Rob Kirby, of Braintree CID, said: “This was a violent attack that could have resulted in the young victim being much more seriously injured.
“This case has rightly ended with the defendants being punished for their actions.
“The incident understandably shocked and appalled Witham residents and I want to thank them for the concern they have shown.”