Council chairman to take on 15-mile walk for sight loss charity
- Credit: TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL
An Essex council chairman is taking on a 15-mile walk with the aim of raising £1,000 for charity.
Starting at Putney Bridge and ending at Tower Bridge, Tendring District Council (TDC) chairman Mark Platt is raising money and awareness for sight loss charity the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
As well as helping the charity itself, Mr Platt is supporting Frinton resident Bethan Phillips, who has suffered with poor vision throughout her life. He will accompany Ms Phillips, who is doing the walk as part of her training for a four-day Inca Trail trek up Machu Picchu in Peru, which she is also completing to raise funds for the RNIB.
Mr Platt and the group of nine others he is walking with hope to raise £1,000 from the event, which takes place on Saturday, June 9.
“I’m looking forward to taking on this challenge to not only raise funds for the RNIB but also awareness,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Walking with Bethan and others in the group who are blind will be a real experience, and I hope to learn about what it is like for blind people to walk around – something sighted people take for granted.”
To donate to Bethan’s fundraising, visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bethan-phillips78.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season