Victorian hospital once used to treat First World War soldiers sold off
- Credit: GOOGLE
A former isolation hospital built in the Victorian era is being sold off by an Essex council for an undisclosed sum.
The site, in Main Road, Dovercourt, originally opened to control the spread of infectious diseases – and later became a centre for treating soldiers during the First World War.
It closed its doors in 1938, and more recently land surrounding the hospital has been used as a council depot and for incubation units.
Since a fire in 2005 saw the demolition of remaining buildings, the land has only been used for car parking.
Now Tendring District Council chiefs have agreed to sell the site.
The new owner of the land has indicated they want to retain part of the it to facilitate parking for the neighbouring Harwich and Parkeston Football Club.
Council cabinet member for finance and corporate resources, Carlo Guglielmi, said: “This sale allows the council to take an unwanted site off its books in return for a fair price, while the new owner has a good asset in a reasonable location.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 9 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 10 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home