What is it about Bury St Edmunds that attracts the rich and famous?
- Credit: Archant
British singer Jessie J and her boyfriend Channing Tatum are the latest celebrity couple to choose west Suffolk to set up home.
So what is it about this part of the county, and in fact the world, that attracts global superstars, including German supermodel and actress Claudia Schiffer?
Jessie and Channing, who have been dating since October, are said to have decided to move to Suffolk after finding themselves spending more and more time in the UK.
Channing especially has been spending a lot of time in London as he promoted his Magic Mike stage show in the West End.
A number of media outlets have reported that the couple have chosen Suffolk because of its proximity to the capital and its relative quietness.
You may also want to watch:
It is reported their luxury rental property neighbours the home of supermodel Claudia and her movie director husband Matthew Vaughn, who live in Stanningfield, not far from Bury St Edmunds.
Mark Cordell, chief executive of the Ourburystedmunds group that supports businesses and promotes the town, said: "I'm not surprised people wish to move closer to Bury St Edmunds and live in the tranquil countryside yet have access to the wonderful facilities of our town centre such as the history, culture and great food and drink establishments."
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 8 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
He said for celebrities the benefits of living in the countryside yet also having access to top quality amenities and the close proximity to London were a real attraction.
Bury St Edmunds and Beyond, the official tourism brand for the town, says on its website: "Surrounded by countryside with 1,000 years of history to explore, Bury St Edmunds offers visitors award-winning restaurants, fantastic shopping, annual festivals, and stunning parks.
"Admire the magnificent St Edmundsbury Cathedral, discover the legend of St Edmund and stand among the ruins of the 11th century abbey of St Edmund, once one of the most important monasteries in medieval Europe, set in the stunning Abbey Gardens."
Other celebrities to have made home in the county are:
- Global superstar Ed Sheeran, is one of the county's best known exports and still lives here.
- Comedian and actor Griff Rhys Jones keeps a number of alpacas at his Suffolk home.
- Author Anthony Horowitz has a home in Orford.