3am drama as electric blanket causes woman's bedding to catch fire
A Frinton woman woke up at 3am to discover her electric blanket had caused her bedding to catch fire.
Fortunately, the woman managed to get out of the fourth-floor flat, in The Esplanade, and alert the caretaker after being woken by her smoke alarm - with firefighters containing the ensuing blaze to the bedroom.
Essex Fire and Rescue crews were called at 3.06am on Monday, December 14, with firefighters from Clacton, Frinton and Weeley managing to extinguish the blaze within 30mins.
The occupant was given first aid after suffering smoke inhalation, with the property ventilated before 4.01am.
Nick Singleton, operational risk manager and on-call crew manager for Essex Fire and Rescue, said: "With the winter nights upon us, if you or a loved one has an electric blanket you might want to follow this advice.
"Check it for signs of wear and tear, never leave it on overnight, get one that has an overheat protect function and make sure it conforms to British Standards and has the Kitemark."
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 7 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 8 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash