Actress and director from Suffolk is a hit in Hollywood
- Credit: Archant
A former Suffolk schoolgirl has become the talk of Tinseltown after winning several awards for a film she wrote, produced and starred in.
Bethany Milner, known to her celebrity friends as Buffy, 23, from Bildeston, now lives in Los Angeles having completed her A-levels at One Sixth Form College in Ipswich.
After leaving Suffolk, Bethany headed over the pond to take up a place at the New York Film Academy where she studied for a bachelor of fine arts degree in acting for film and has since won several accolades for her screenplay, Type.
Buffy said: “The film is a coming-of-age story about the social struggles of a girl recently diagnosed with type-one diabetes.
“I am so overjoyed and overwhelmed that it is now doing so well and receiving recognition on this scale.
“In terms of the future, I have proved that hard work pays off and I will continue to work hard to achieve the career I desire.”
As part of her studies at university, Bethany spent time in Hollywood meeting the likes of Jonny Depp and Oscar-winning film director Ron Howard.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
While finding the time to liaise with A-listers such as Bryan Cranston, George Clooney and Charlize Theron, Bethany also managed to graduate with honours from the academy before throwing herself into scripting her film.
Back in Suffolk, director of curriculum at ONE sixth form, Lois Hinsley, was delighted by her former student’s success.
She said, “We are thrilled for Buffy.
“She was a talented actress and she is now proving this on an international scale.
“We are passionately committed to performing arts courses and creative careers at ONE, so whilst Buffy may be the first former student from ONE to take the film world in America by storm, I’m sure she won’t be the last.”
Currently Buffy has won several awards for her fantastic work with best actress in an indie film awards from several organisations including the Tops Shorts Festival, Festigious International Film Festival, the Actor Awards and IndieFEST Film Awards.
Buffy was also recognised for her role as a director at the International Independent Film Awards.
Type has been selected to for a screening at the Glendale International Film Festival.