The Orwell Lady has become a favourite at Ipswich Waterfront
- Credit: Archant
Listening to ghostly tales on the river
There are few better ways of spending an autumn afternoon - than getting out on the river.
It is a chance to experience the magic of this beautiful landscape.
On Saturday November 1, I joined the folk on board the Orwell Lady for a special ghost and ghoulie themed cruise down the Orwell.
It is a trip of great contrasts, and quickly the hustle and bustle of the town is left behind and there is a chance to experience the peace and beauty of an open river.
You may also want to watch:
On board the passengers included families with children in Halloween fancy dress, and ghost expert Ed Nicholls told stories of ghostly happenings and tales of the history of the river.
Ed told tales of smugglers and excise men, of naval heroes, of tragedies and successes, associated with the river Orwell and the historic Ipswich docks.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Restaurant launches giant cheesecake and cookie company
- 10 Town remain in talks with Edwards over new deal
And there were tales of ghosts too....including some that were particularly associated with the Waterfront area.
Gradually as the sun began to set, we headed back towards the Wet Dock.
By the time we arrived back the lights were on in apartments and restaurants and along the quayside.
It looked absolutely lovely.
Withe the public cruising season coming towards and end, the Orwell Lady will soon be out of the water for her annual
re-fit and maintenance. First there are just a few private charter trips.
The Orwell Lady has become a real tourist attraction.
Further ahead the Orwell Lady team are planning a full season of special events, cruises and trips from Ipswich Waterfront from Easter 2015.
And, Yes, there will be a special Halloween cruise in 2015.... be very afraid.