The Orwell Lady has become a favourite at Ipswich Waterfront
- Credit: Archant
Listening to ghostly tales on the river
There are few better ways of spending an autumn afternoon - than getting out on the river.
It is a chance to experience the magic of this beautiful landscape.
On Saturday November 1, I joined the folk on board the Orwell Lady for a special ghost and ghoulie themed cruise down the Orwell.
It is a trip of great contrasts, and quickly the hustle and bustle of the town is left behind and there is a chance to experience the peace and beauty of an open river.
On board the passengers included families with children in Halloween fancy dress, and ghost expert Ed Nicholls told stories of ghostly happenings and tales of the history of the river.
Ed told tales of smugglers and excise men, of naval heroes, of tragedies and successes, associated with the river Orwell and the historic Ipswich docks.
- 1 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 2 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 3 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 4 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 5 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 6 'Let's turn this into a fortress' - Town season ticket sales hit 16k
- 7 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 8 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 9 Plans for second village school scrapped in favour of bigger site
- 10 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
And there were tales of ghosts too....including some that were particularly associated with the Waterfront area.
Gradually as the sun began to set, we headed back towards the Wet Dock.
By the time we arrived back the lights were on in apartments and restaurants and along the quayside.
It looked absolutely lovely.
Withe the public cruising season coming towards and end, the Orwell Lady will soon be out of the water for her annual
re-fit and maintenance. First there are just a few private charter trips.
The Orwell Lady has become a real tourist attraction.
Further ahead the Orwell Lady team are planning a full season of special events, cruises and trips from Ipswich Waterfront from Easter 2015.
And, Yes, there will be a special Halloween cruise in 2015.... be very afraid.