Days Gone By: A view from the skies of Ipswich town centre and beyond
PUBLISHED: 14:30 14 March 2018 | UPDATED: 14:30 14 March 2018
The Ipswich Dock area in June 1992. The area along the quay, bottom right, still had remains of the Ransomes Sims and Jefferies engineering works, which had moved from the site by the mid 1960s and parts of the towns gas works. The island site was entirely in commercial use. The site now occupied by the university (top right) still has the silos of Eastern Counties Farmers which were demolished in 1994. Picture: OWEN HINES
In June 1992, East Anglian Daily Times and Evening Star staff photographer Owen Hines flew from Ipswich Airport to capture the Ipswich area from the air.
Ipswich Airport opened in 1930 on a 147 acre site off Nacton Road. The entire cost, including the land, was £13,245. At the outbreak of World War Two the site was taken over by the Air Ministry and by the end of September the RAF had moved Blenheim bombers there and raids were carried out from the airfield. In 1942 Spitfires flew from there. Chanel Airways operated a feeder service to Southend Airport until the early 1970s and Suckling Airways ran a service to Manchester and Amsterdam starting in 1986. Flying Schools and parachute clubs operated from there. After many disputes about closure the last aircraft took off in January 1998. Picture: OWEN HINES
Many changes have taken place since his flight 26 years ago and I feature some this week.
The Ipswich Dock area has now become a mostly residential and leisure area.
Foxhall Road, Rushmere St Andrew, on the outskirts of Ipswich, is across the left side of this photograph. Work was going on in 1992 to extend building on the Bixley Farm site close to Foxhall Stadium. Broadlands Way is across the picture. Picture: OWEN HINES
The west bank has expanded and the airport has closed.
Several areas of land have seen housing developments.
The Copdock Mill interchange in June 1992. The Toys R Us store and Tescos Supermarket (left) have been joined by other retail outlets since this photograph was taken. Picture: OWEN HINES
Reavell’s engineering works on Ranelagh Road has now been replaced, mostly with flats, and the retail area, close to the Copdock Mill interchange, has expanded.
Can you spot any more changes featured? To submit a letter, in less than 300 words, write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The housing development of Finbars Walk, off Grove Lane, had just started in June 1992. Woodville Road is bottom right and Spring Road is across the top. Picture: OWEN HINES
Sainsburys Supermarket, off Hadleigh Road, Ipswich, was being built in June 1992. The River Gipping runs from the top of the picture meeting the River Orwell at the Yarmouth Road weir. Tree lined Yarmouth Road is on the right. Picture: OWEN HINES
The River Orwell runs from the bottom of this June 1992 image, meeting the River Gipping at the top. Comp Air Reavells engineering works in Ranelagh Road is bottom left. The company was established by William Reavell (later Sir William) in 1898. The site was demolished in 2006 and much of the site is now flats. This photograph was taken from over the train station. Picture: OWEN HINES
The Ipswich town Football Club ground is in the centre foreground. Some of the stands have been rebuilt since this 1992 photograph was taken. The John Player and Sons, cigarette and cigar factory in the foreground closed in May 1992. It was formally Churchmans factory before being integrated with Players in 1972. The building at the corner of Russell Road and Constantine Road was part of Eastern Electricity. It was demolished and replaced with what is now Endeavour House, the headquarters of Suffolk County Council. Picture: OWEN HINES
The Suffolk College buildings are in the centre of this 1992 photograph with Alexandra Park in the bottom left corner. The college (then the Civic College) was formally opened by the Queen in June 1961. The area around Rope Walk and Grimwade Street, where the college was built, was known as The Potteries with its clay suppling local works, which was ideal for earthenware, bricks and tiles. Property in the area was demolished in the slum clearance of the 1930s and the area stood open until the 1950s, when work on the college started. Most of the buildings were demolished around 2008 and the Suffolk New College buildings are now on the site. Picture: OWEN HINES