Thetford rapist Rocky Barnes sentenced to 16 years
- Credit: Suffolk Constabulary
A convicted sex offender has been locked up for raping and assaulting another woman.
Rocky Barnes was told he will serve 12 years behind bars before being released on licence for four years.
The 45-year-old was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday after being convicted by a jury in April.
Barnes, of Canterbury Way, Thetford, had denied assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assault by penetration, common assault and rape – but was found guilty by a majority verdict of 11 to one.
During the trial, jurors heard that Barnes went to a woman’s home and assaulted her – grabbing her throat and squeezing it so hard she lost consciousness.
You may also want to watch:
On another occasion, the trial heard, his victim was pushed onto a table and raped.
Barnes, who served a previous seven-year prison sentence for rape and violence, chose not to give evidence during his trial.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 3 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 4 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 6 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 9 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 10 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health