Thetford: Teacher raises £1,500 in half-marathon run
- Credit: Contributed
A teacher has raised £1,500 for the brain injury charity that supported his mother over many years.
Craig Skipp, 28, who teaches at Thetford Academy, completed a half-marathon in memory of his mother Julie on December 15 – the first anniversary of her death – in aid of Headway West Suffolk.
He took 1hr 25min to complete the 13-mile journey along the A134 from her home in Ford Place, Thetford, to Headway’s base in Northgate Street Business Park in Bury St Edmunds.
He chose to support Headway in her memory as she had spent almost 10 years there after sustaining her brain injury following an accident at home.
Following his run, Mr Skipp wanted to thank everyone at Headway for the support they had given his mother, those who had sponsored him and his friends and family at the finish line. But the biggest thank-you went to his wife and children for their support over what had been a difficult year.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a great feeling to know that I have completed the run in honour of mum, ensuring she will always be in our memories. To be able to do something like this for such a worthy cause is something I am very proud of.”
Dave Taylor, manager of Headway West Suffolk, said: “Members and staff remember Julie with great affection and her mischievous sense of humour. She regularly came to us three times a week from Thetford to Bury. The money will help fund a third of our pottery activity, which takes place twice a week and helps up to 16 people every week. Julie had pottery at heart and loved the sessions, so we feel this is a fitting way to use what has been raised.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 4 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 5 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
To find out more about Headway West Suffolk call 01284 702535.