Thetford: UKIP councillor to resign after shoplifting in Thetford
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A UKIP councillor who shoplifted from Poundstretcher has said he will resign stating the pressure on him was too great.
The resignation of Peter Georgiou, who took Thetford West for UKIP by one vote from Labour, will spark a by-election in Norfolk’s closest-fought division.
It also marks the end of two weeks of speculation surrounding Mr Georgiou’s future after he admitted he was banned from Thetford’s Poundstretcher store in Minstergate for shoplifting last year.
Police dealt with the incident through a “community resolution” in which Mr Georgiou agreed to pay for the goods and was banned from the store.
He put his behaviour down to the result of medication he was taking for depression.
You may also want to watch:
Revealing that he would resign, he said yesterday that he was shocked by the “mudslinging” against him after his past was made public.
He said: “I am disappointed because we all know there is mudslinging that goes on. I just thought it (the reaction) was a little bit over the top.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered