‘They saved my property’ – Owner praises thirty firefighters who spent six hours at Stoke-by-Nayland thatch blaze

The scene of a thatch fire in Stoke-by-Nayland

The scene of a thatch fire in Stoke-by-Nayland - Credit: Archant

A picturesque country cottage is still standing today despite a fire ripping through its thatched roof.

The scene after the thatched roof fire in Stoke by Nayland - Picture credit - Suffolk Fire and Rescu

The scene after the thatched roof fire in Stoke by Nayland - Picture credit - Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service - Credit: Archant

The blaze took place at the property in Scotland Street, Stoke-by-Nayland on Saturday evening.

But had it not been for the prompt and effective actions of 10 fire crews from across south Suffolk and north Essex the damage could have been far worse.

Emergency services were first called to the scene at 9.55pm on Saturday and rescue appliances spent around six hours at the scene.

Around 30 firefighters squeezed themselves into the narrow, single lane road to fight the blaze atop the white walled cottage – just yards from another thatched property on the opposite side of the road.

Dawn Dale, owner of the cottage, praised the fire brigade for their “wonderful” work at the scene.

“They were just amazing in every which way and saved my property. They were second to none. I can’t thank them enough.”

Most Read

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said crews placed a large swimming pool-like structure in his driveway to supply the appliances with water.

He also said the actions of the crews were the reason the fire had not spread across more of the roof.

On Sunday morning protective sheeting covered part of the property to try and prevent the elements doing more damage.

On its Facebook page Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said crews were sent to the incident from Ipswich East, Princes Street, Holbrook, Sudbury, Long Melford and Hadleigh, along with the command unit and support pump from Woodbridge.

Essex County Fire And Rescue Service confirmed it sent three crews from Colchester and another from Manningtree to the fire as well as Halstead’s water bowser.

Firefighters tackled the blaze from both inside and outside the house using four hose reels, three nine metre ladders and working at height gear.

The Salvation Army also attended the scene, with all fire crews having left the site by 4am.