Thousands of new Essex school places ready for new term
- Credit: Archant
More than 3,000 school places are set to be delivered across Essex ready for the new school term.
Essex County Council has spent almost £48million on the 3,000 primary and 150 secondary places to cater for population growth.
Many have already been completed with finishing touches still being added to some before children go back next month.
Among the projects are a new 420-place primary school at Braiswick, Colchester, the re-built Market Field Community Special School in Elmstead Market, and the re-built John Ray Infant School in Braintree destroyed by fire in 2013.
Ray Gooding, county councillor for education, said: “Essex is growing rapidly and the demand for school places in the county is also continuing to rise.
You may also want to watch:
“To meet that demand, we are planning to spend about £200million over the next five years on creating extra school places.
“I am delighted to see so many exciting projects coming to a conclusion this summer and look forward to the new pupils starting in September.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
Projects delivered for the 2015/16 academic year include:
• Braiswick Primary (new school)
• Monkwick Infant School (expansion)
• Montgomery Infant and Junior Schools (expansion)
• Gilberd Secondary School (expansion)
• Market Field Community Special School (complete rebuild)
• John Ray Infant School (complete rebuild)
• John Ray Junior School (expansion)
• John Bunyan Junior School (expansion)
• Silver End Primary School (expansion)
• Roseacres Primary (new school)
• Chipping Hill Primary School (expansion)
• Maltese Road Primary (new school)
• Moulsham Infant and Junior Schools (expansion)
• Oaklands Infant School (expansion)
• Springfield Primary School (expansion)