Thousands roll out for barrel fair
MORE than 2,000 people rolled out to an annual barrel fair in a picturesque Suffolk village.The popular Westleton Barrel Fair, near Southwold, was officially opened by author Jill Freud yesterday and drew huge crowds as expected.
By Danielle Nuttall
MORE than 2,000 people rolled out to an annual barrel fair in a picturesque Suffolk village.
The popular Westleton Barrel Fair, near Southwold, was officially opened by author Jill Freud yesterday and drew huge crowds as expected.
Dozens of people entered the fiercely fought barrel races which ran throughout the day and culminated in a grand final late afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Visitors were also entertained by the Ipswich Hospital Band, acoustic music, children's face painting, bouncy castles, coconut shy and traditional games.
The event, which was free of charge, was part of a weekend of family fun in the village.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
On Saturday night, guests enjoyed an evening of entertainment which included a children's disco, traditional Cotswold Morris dancing by the East Suffolk Morris Men, the Best Men performing original music, the Westleton Surprise Cabaret and The Travelling Nobodys.
Arlette Smith, one of the organisers, said: “It was an excellent day. There was a little bit of rain but a record crowd once again.”
Julian Alexander won the Westleton men's race while Barbara Buckley took top prize in the women's race.
Giles Andre took the men's allcomers' race while Emma Clough won the same title for the ladies.