Three cats die from antifreeze poisoning
THE RSPCA are appealing for information after three cats died from antifreeze poisoning in a small village near Diss.
THE RSPCA are appealing for information after three cats died from antifreeze poisoning in a village near Diss.
Two of the cats, Harry and Kitty, were owned by Melanie Forrer who lives in Flaxlands, Carleton Rode, and the other, named Mr Bojangles, was owned by her neighbour, Emma Callaghan.
Harry and Kitty returned home within three days of each other in January. Harry was rushed to the vets on 22 January, but had advanced renal failure and died shortly afterwards. Kitty came home on the evening of 24 January. He was sick at first, but deteriorated rapidly and died the next day despite a vet battling for 12 hours to save him.
Miss Forrer said: “Although Harry was used to roaming for miles, Kitty didn't know the area and would never venture far away. One of our other cats, Fluffy, also went missing on 8 March so I am desperately worried that he has also been poisoned.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Callaghan found her 18-month-old cat when she returned home on 10 March. Mr Bojangles was twitching and crawling along the floor and a vet found he was in the advanced stages of kidney failure.
Mrs Callaghan said: “It was so distressing to see him like that and he was in a huge amount of pain.” Natural England carried out post-mortem examinations on Mr Bojangles and Kitty and believes the poisonings may have been deliberate
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
According to veterinary advice, antifreeze tastes sweet to cats and is very attractive to them. Symptoms include shaking, vomiting, seizures, drinking more and fast breathing.
Anyone with information about these incidents should contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999 and ask to leave a message for inspector Caroline O'Riordan.