Three cats die from antifreeze poisoning
THE RSPCA are appealing for information after three cats died from antifreeze poisoning in a small village near Diss.
THE RSPCA are appealing for information after three cats died from antifreeze poisoning in a village near Diss.
Two of the cats, Harry and Kitty, were owned by Melanie Forrer who lives in Flaxlands, Carleton Rode, and the other, named Mr Bojangles, was owned by her neighbour, Emma Callaghan.
Harry and Kitty returned home within three days of each other in January. Harry was rushed to the vets on 22 January, but had advanced renal failure and died shortly afterwards. Kitty came home on the evening of 24 January. He was sick at first, but deteriorated rapidly and died the next day despite a vet battling for 12 hours to save him.
Miss Forrer said: “Although Harry was used to roaming for miles, Kitty didn't know the area and would never venture far away. One of our other cats, Fluffy, also went missing on 8 March so I am desperately worried that he has also been poisoned.”
Mrs Callaghan found her 18-month-old cat when she returned home on 10 March. Mr Bojangles was twitching and crawling along the floor and a vet found he was in the advanced stages of kidney failure.
Mrs Callaghan said: “It was so distressing to see him like that and he was in a huge amount of pain.” Natural England carried out post-mortem examinations on Mr Bojangles and Kitty and believes the poisonings may have been deliberate
- 1 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 2 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 3 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 Ranking every League One away kit from worst to first
- 6 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 7 Striker Jackson signs new Town deal
- 8 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 9 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
- 10 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
According to veterinary advice, antifreeze tastes sweet to cats and is very attractive to them. Symptoms include shaking, vomiting, seizures, drinking more and fast breathing.
Anyone with information about these incidents should contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999 and ask to leave a message for inspector Caroline O'Riordan.