Three die in horror crash
By Sarah ChambersTHREE people have been killed after a lorry and two cars were involved in an horrific crash.One man and two women, who are believed to be elderly, suffered fatal injuries in the accident in Ilketshall St Lawrence, near Bungay.
By Sarah Chambers
THREE people have been killed after a lorry and two cars were involved in an horrific crash.
One man and two women, who are believed to be elderly, suffered fatal injuries in the accident in Ilketshall St Lawrence, near Bungay.
The accident happened at about 3.45pm yesterday at a junction on the A144 Bungay to Halesworth road when the silver Honda Accord they were travelling in was in collision with a lorry and a white Toyota Starlet
The Honda then crashed through a garden wall beside the junction, demolishing it in the process.
A doctor, who arrived along with paramedics, pronounced the man and two women dead at the scene. They have not been named by police, but are thought to come from Norfolk.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 3 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 6 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 7 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 8 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 9 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 10 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
Sgt Steve Griss, of Suffolk police, said: “It's an extremely serious and tragic incident.”
Sgt David Griffiths, who was at the crash scene, added: “We have got officers trying to reconstruct the scene in an effort to understand what happened.
“When you have three persons in one vehicle dying in an incident such as this, it becomes even more poignant.”
The accident happened at a minor junction in Ilketshall St Lawrence on a 60mph stretch of the road.
The male driver of the articulated lorry and the woman driver of the Toyota Starlet escaped injury, but were said to be “very shocked”.
Police, fire and ambulance crews were at the scene and diversions were put in place for some hours as the road was closed while traffic officers cleared the scene and started their investigation into the cause of the crash.
Shocked residents, who returned to their homes after the crash, called for safety measures, such as speed limits, to be introduced along the stretch of road.
Phil and Chris Ralph, whose garden wall was partially destroyed in the accident, said they would like to see a 30mph limit put in force.
“It was quite a shock. We have had quite a few accidents here,” said Mrs Ralph.
Their neighbour, Mark Slater, felt there should be a 40mph limit and added: “It could have been us.”
Anyone with information about the accident should contact Pc Hamish Philp, of Halesworth traffic police, on 01986 835350.