Open boats weekend at Ipswich Waterfront, April 7 and 8
- Credit: Archant
Chance to get on board the Orwell Lady, Barge Victor and the Allen Gardiner and meet the crews.
It is open boat weekend at Ipswich Waterfront.
The three cruise boats which are based in the former Wet Dock, the Orwell Lady, Allen Gardiner and sailing barge Victor are hosting the event.
It is the second year the three independent businesses have combined to launch their tourist season.
Historic sailing barge Victor, 100 years-old, is a permanent resident of the Waterfront with a programme of cruises, public and private charters, from May onwards.
You may also want to watch:
Barge Victor skipper David `Wes’ Westwood said: “We are really looking forward to the open boat weekend again.
“The weather is looking better, if it stays at it is today it should go well.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 7 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 10 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
“Hopefully this weekend really is the start of Spring.”
The barge starts public cruising on the River Orwell next month, on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday each week, with private charters and bookings on other days.
“We are already taking bookings,” Wes added, “Our first cream tea cruise has already sold out.
“This weekend is a chance for the public to meet us, and have a look over the boats.”
The three Ipswich based cruise businesses work in co-operation with each other, and a very different business.
The Allen Gardiner is a dining cruise boat, for small parties.
While the Orwell Lady is a purpose-built cruise ship, offering various trips down river, either for sightseeing, or themed, offering entertainment or music.
All three are part of the tourist attractions of the Ipswich Waterfront.
Open boat weekend is at the quayside, close to the Old Custom House, from 11am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Visitors can meet the crews and find out about the variety of trips on offer.