‘It was exceptional’ - rugby players raise more than £16k for hospital
- Credit: THURSTON RUGBY CLUB
Rugby players have raised an “amazing” amount of money for West Suffolk Hospital by completing a socially-distanced relay.
The 180-mile fundraiser for the hospital in Bury St Edmunds involved 52 players from Thurston Rugby Club and took place over 24 hours.
MORE: ‘We want to give back to those who have given us so much’ - rugby players’ socially-distanced relay for hospitalThe figure raised for the hospital’s MyWiSH charity has now surpassed £16,000, smashing the £10k target.
Matt Ansell, sponsor secretary at the club, said: “It was just exceptional. We finished about two hours ahead of schedule, just as the sun was coming up over the club.”
The relay began outside West Suffolk Hospital on the morning of May 2 and finished the following day at Thurston Rugby Club’s ground.
Mr Ansell added: “Not only has it generated some funding for MyWiSH, but it’s really engaged with the players.
You may also want to watch:
“The club is somewhere 30 of the guys go three times a week for training and games and to have that taken away is isolating, and that’s [the relay is] really something that has been able to pull the entire squad together.”
He said the relay was something everyone involved with could be “really proud of” and take forward in terms of team spirit into next year.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-3 draw at Colchester