Tickets go on sale for annual ball in Bury St Edmunds aimed at raising money for the Every Heart Matters appeal
- Credit: Archant
While most people’s thoughts are turning to Christmas and what to buy for family and friends, organisers of a fundraising ball next year are busy making plans for the event.
For the annual Valentine’s Ball, to be held at the Southgate Community Centre, in Bury St Edmunds, is hoping to boost the funds of the My WiSH Charity’s Every Heart Matters appeal, which is aiming to raise £500,000 for a new cardiac centre at the West Suffolk Hospital.
It is the fifth year that the event has been held and tickets are now on sale costing £75 for a couple or £38 for a single.
Every year the black tie ball, which features a three course dinner and wine, a glass of bubbly on arrival and dancing until midnight to the Marrakesh Swing Band, attracts nearly 100 people and organiser Andy Abbott, chairman of the trustees of the Southgate Community Partnership, is hoping to match that figure this year.
He said: “It’s a very enjoyable event and over the years we have raised thousands of pounds which is always split between the mayor’s charity and a local one. This time My WiSH Charity is our chosen charity this year and we wanted to support their Every Heart Matters appeal. We know that the mayor is also supporting them so we can raise a great amount for West Suffolk Hospital which is just brilliant.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year we raised £660 and we hope to at least match that this year. The community centre is transformed and it always looks amazing. It’s good for the community and the wider community and an opportunity for the Southgate and Hardwick people to come along and have a good time.
“It’s really good value and a lot of people who come have been every single year.”
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
It is taking place on Saturday, February 10, from 7pm, and tickets are available from the community centre, which is open weekdays except Wednesday, or on 01284 703705 and 07508 409043.
The West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust is investing £5.2m in developing a state of the art cardiac suite to provide quicker access to more treatments, but the £500,000 My WiSH Charity is hoping to raise will lead to the whole unit, currently fragmented on different floors, being brought together in one purpose-built centre.
If you want to support the Every Heart Matters appeal go to the website www.mywishcharity.co.uk
If you would like to donate to the appeal you can do so by going to
Justgiving.com/ehma or text EHMA17 £10 to 70070.