Tiny bat gets stuck on fly paper in Leiston sparking warning by RSPCA officials
- Credit: Archant
A small bat which got stuck on a strip of fly paper in Leiston was extremely lucky not to have suffered any permanent injuries, RSPCA bosses have said.
Officers were called to collect the brown long-eared bat, found in a garden by a concerned member of the public, late last month.
Although the bat’s thin wing membrane was not damaged and he was able to be released back into the wild, inspectors have warned he could have been more seriously hurt.
Now they are reminding people about the dangers that fly paper can pose to wildlife.
RSPCA inspector Natalie Bartle said: “It was extremely lucky that this bat did not suffer any permanent injuries from getting stuck especially as he was so tiny.
You may also want to watch:
“His ears were even stuck to his body due to the sheer strength of the glue used on these tapes.
“The people whose garden he was found in did not realise the dangers the fly paper can cause to non-target species, and they immediately removed it from their garden.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
She added: “However I would like to take this opportunity to remind people of the dangers of fly paper , they are coated with non-drying adhesive and animals such as small birds and bats can easily get caught on them, sadly in many cases it can result in a long and painful death for them as they struggle to get free.”
When an animal is stuck on a glue strip they start to struggle, which can lead to other parts of their body being stuck, she added.
In attempting to get free they may rip out patches of their fur, feathers, break bones and even gnaw through their own limbs to escape.
Call the charity’s 24-hour emergency line on 0300 1234 999 if you find or see a bat in distress.
Remember to wear thick protective gloves if handling the bat.