Warning to check gas barbecues after fire crews called to blaze
- Credit: Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
Firefighters have urged people to check their gas barbecues before use after crews were called to a blaze in Braintree.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service was called to a home in Tortoiseshell Way at 6.15pm on Friday.
On arrival, crews from Braintree station reported that a barbecue was on fire and had spread to the gas cylinder.
Firefighters allowed the gas to vent off while tackling the fire with water until it was extinguished by 7.53pm.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service has issued guidance on using barbecues following the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Crew manager Trevor Garrod, of Braintree Fire Station, said: "With the warmer weather coming and restrictions allowing us to have guests in our gardens, if you’re having a barbecue we’d urge you to check them over thoroughly before using them and make sure there are no faults.
"Never leave a barbecue unattended and make sure you set it up well away from sheds, fences, trees and plants."
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies