TOWIE star Joey Essex meets prospective Witham MP Priti Patel as he learns about politics
- Credit: Archant
Reality TV celebrity Joey Essex tries to bring politics to a simpler level.
There has been much focus during the general election campaign on celebrity endorsements, such as which actor, chef or comedian is backing who for prime minister.
But one TV star has been trying to learn more about the parties and what they stand for – helped on his way by government minister Priti Patel, Conservative candidate for Witham.
A special edition of Educating Joey Essex: General Election, what you saying?! follows the tanned celebrity as he tries to navigate his way through a crash course in British politics.
In the programme Joey, who came to fame from reality show The Only Way is Essex (TOWIE), met several party leaders and discovered what they stood for.
You may also want to watch:
The show, broadcast on ITV2 tonight, is narrated by Phillip Schofield.
While both were taking part in a BBC Radio Five Live politics show he put a question to Ms Patel, the incumbent MP for Witham, before chatting with her outside of the studio.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
Ms Patel, commenting on the experience, said: “I didn’t much about TOWIE before I met him, and just happened to be in the studio when he came in as well.
“I don’t know what he made of it but I know he found it interesting.
“It was good to talk to him, a bit about Essex obviously, but also about the issues people are bringing up on the doorstep.
“There’s a possibility this will reach out to new people, and if it does that is a good thing. Young people are engaged in the election, but the more we can do to achieve that the better.
“Joey didn’t specifically ask me for a night out at the Sugar Hut, but I think he picked up on the fact I was pretty busy.”
Joey Essex said: “I’ve never voted before, but I was really excited about getting to meet some of the most important people in the country to help me make my decision.
“I got to take some pretty reem selfies too.”
Other candidates standing in Witham are: James Abbott (G); John Clarke (Lab); Garry Cockrill (UKIP); Josephine Hayes (LD); Doreen Scrimshaw (CPA).