Town could lose 100 jobs if factory closes
A SHOCK announcement by a major textiles business in Suffolk could see the loss of up to 100 jobs.
Letters have been sent to all employees at Guilford Performance Textiles in Great Cornard informing them that a 30-day consultation will be taking place on the future of the business which has employed generations of people from the area.
In a statement from the company’s headquarters in North Carolina, USA, a spokesman said the company could be potentially closing down by the beginning of 2011 with the loss of 100 jobs.
He added: “The company understands the impact that this will have on its employee base and is committed to easing the transition for those affected.”
News that the company - which designs and manufactures material for vehicle interiors - could be closing sent shockwaves through the community.
You may also want to watch:
Sudbury Town Council clerk, Sue Brotherwood, said if it went it would have a huge impact on the economic and social life of the area.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid