Traffic disruption follows crashes and flooding on county’s roads
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Several road crashes led to traffic disruption across the region this morning.
Police closed a stretch of the A14 following a four-vehicle crash at about 7am on the westbound carriageway of the road at the Seven Hills junction.
Police diverted traffic along the A1156 (Felixstowe Road) through Nacton village. The A14 was reopened at 8.05am but the closure caused delays for motorists.
Just after 7am, a motorbike and car collided on the A12 at the roundabout near Suffolk police headquarters in Martlesham Heath. There were no serious injuries and the road was clear by 7.45am.
A lane of the eastbound A14 was blocked at Exning, near Newmarket, at about 6.45am because of standing water. Highways England assisted with the closure.
You may also want to watch:
In Elmswell, near Stowmarket, a silver Vauxhall and a black Honda car collided on the A1088 (Stow Lane) at 8am, blocking the road. Firefighters were called to the scene to cut one driver free from the wreckage of the Vauxhall.
Emergency services were also called to a serious collision in Nowton.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
Police were contacted by the ambulance service at 8am to reports of a collision between a car and a pedestrian in Bury Road, near the entrance to Nowton Park. The air ambulance was also called and Nowton Park was closed.
At 8.15am, a grey Daihatsu Cuore and a white Peugeot 108 collided in Valley Road, Ipswich, near the Norwich Road junction.
A grey Land Rover Freelander later collided with a Ford Transit tipper on the A143 at Barnardiston, near Haverhill. The crash happened at the junction for Hundon at about 8.45am.
Shortly after 10.30am, emergency services were called to a flooded Church Street, in Withersfield, near Haverhill, where a BMW and a van were stuck in the water. The road was closed after both vehicles and their occupants were moved to dry land.
Motorway traffic was also held up following a fatal collision last night.
A lorry overturned shortly before 11.45pm on the northbound slip road of the M25. The driver died after the lorry also collided with a pillar on a road bridge.
Both slip roads from the M25 to the M11 were closed for forensic investigations and recovery of the vehicle.