A12 at Stratford St Mary REOPENS after lorry overturns and four vehicles crash
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
A stretch of the A12 close to the Suffolk/Essex border has reopened after a lorry overturned and four vehicles subsequently collided in a second crash.
The road was closed for a significant time following the two separate incidents this morning.
The Colchester-bound carriageway of the road was closed for several hours between junctions 31 and 29 – for Stratford St Mary and Dedham, and the A120 Crown interchange.
Highways England said the vehicle was heavily laden when it overturned.
There then followed a second crash, involving three vehicles, and requiring the attendance of police, paramedics and an air ambulance crew.
The closure remained in place throughout the morning, but reopened shortly after 3.30pm.
The crash was first reported by the AA shortly after 4.45am between junction 30, for Stratford St Mary and Dedham, and the A120 Crown Interchange.
- 1 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 2 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 5 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 6 Ranking every League One away kit from worst to first
- 7 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
- 8 Striker Jackson signs new Town deal
- 9 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 10 'Fantastic' new café at Needham Lake beauty spot opens its doors
The outside lane of the opposite carriageway was also closed for some time due to barrier damage.
The northbound carriageway was then closed again to allow an air ambulance to land in response to the second collision.
Essex Police appealed for witnesses and anyone with dashcam footage of the collision, just before 7am outside the Birchwood service station, to get in touch.
One man sustained serious injuries and was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital, while another man was driven to a local hospital with less serious injuries, after lorry, van and two cars collided.
Witnesses are asked to contact police on 101. quoting incident 153 of February 10, or visit essex.police.uk and use the 'Live Chat' button between 7am and 11pm.