A14 set to be closed for several more hours after 200-litre diesel spill
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A 200-litre oil spill will mean part of the A14 at Felixstowe will remain shut for several more hours, according to police.
The spillage from a lorry happened at the Dock Spur roundabout, near Felixstowe, at about 1.35pm on Thursday.
The road is currently closed westbound between J60 at Dockspur Roundabout and J59 for the Howlett Way Roundabout.
Another lane is also closed between J61 and J60.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said that the closure could last another three or four hours at least.
One motorist stuck in the surrounding gridlock said: "It was mayhem trying to get through Walton, especially with HGVs on top of the back to school traffic.
"Thankfully things eased once we reached Trimley, but I'm sure it made for a stressful return to the school run for a lot of parents."
Highways England updated its guidance on Thursday night and said that due to the severity of the spill, it has been confirmed that resurfacing works will be required.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 8 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
Police have issued the following diversion route, but many motorists are reporting that the town is in complete gridlock.
- Exit the A14 at the J60 Dockspur Roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto the A154 Candlet Road.
- Continue until the roundabout with Grove Road and then take the 2nd exit.
- Continue on the A154 until the signalised junction with High Road West.
- At the junction, turn right and continue along High Road West, High Street and High Road.
- After Trimley, take the 2nd exit at the roundabout and re-join the A14 westbound at J59.