A143 closed as diesel spill from overturned lorry cleared
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
The A143 near Bury St Edmunds has been blocked after a lorry turned on its side at a roundabout.
Officers from Suffolk police were called to the incident at Ixworth shortly before 5am on Wednesday.
A police spokesman said the road has been closed in both directions following the incident as the vehicle is recovered.
The spokesman also said the incident had caused diesel to spill onto the road, with recovery crews called to clear the fuel from the carriageway.
Motorists travelling on the A143 are being diverted through Ixworth.
You may also want to watch:
The Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team confirmed on Twitter shortly before 10am that the lorry was being lifted upright, but warned the road would still remain closed for several hours.
The incident comes less than a week after a 44-tonne lorry overturned on a slip road for the A14 near Bury St Edmunds, causing traffic delays for several hours.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour