Giant icicles on bridge spark emergency road closure
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown/Archant
Large icicles hanging from a bridge have led to part of a busy route being closed by highways chiefs this morning.
As the big freeze continues to cause disruption across Suffolk with temperatures plunging to -5C again overnight, an emergency road closure has been put in place on the A143 near Haverhill.
This is due to overhanging icicles across the entire length of the Sturmer Road Bridge.
The A143 Bumpstead Road is closed as a result with pedestrians urged to use an alternative route.
Suffolk Highways chiefs say the icicles will be removed today.
You may also want to watch:
The team sent out gritters to treat priority routes overnight and warned drivers of continuing seasonal dangers, with snow drifts and slippery surfaces making some smaller roads treacherous.
Earlier this week, the cold weather transformed parts of Suffolk and north Essex into a winter wonderland, with giant icicles forming spectacular roadside sculptures.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 8 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 9 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 10 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs