Giant icicles on bridge spark emergency road closure
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown/Archant
Large icicles hanging from a bridge have led to part of a busy route being closed by highways chiefs this morning.
As the big freeze continues to cause disruption across Suffolk with temperatures plunging to -5C again overnight, an emergency road closure has been put in place on the A143 near Haverhill.
This is due to overhanging icicles across the entire length of the Sturmer Road Bridge.
The A143 Bumpstead Road is closed as a result with pedestrians urged to use an alternative route.
Suffolk Highways chiefs say the icicles will be removed today.
You may also want to watch:
The team sent out gritters to treat priority routes overnight and warned drivers of continuing seasonal dangers, with snow drifts and slippery surfaces making some smaller roads treacherous.
Earlier this week, the cold weather transformed parts of Suffolk and north Essex into a winter wonderland, with giant icicles forming spectacular roadside sculptures.
- 1 Hair salon and cocktail bar opening new Suffolk site as demand 'goes bananas'
- 2 A140 closed this weekend to connect road to new roundabout
- 3 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 4 Suffolk Instagram star spreads body positivity for 'mid-size' girls through fashion
- 5 Former bakery goes up for sale after restaurant plans fall through
- 6 Ex-Town star named as U's boss
- 7 Town boss Lambert a long shot for Celtic job after Lennon quits
- 8 Budget predictions: Furlough, wealth tax and VAT cuts
- 9 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
- 10 Town high street reopened after car crashes into building