40mph speed limit on Orwell Bridge likely tomorrow as strong winds forecast
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown/Archant
The Orwell Bridge is likely to have a reduced speed limit of 40mph tomorrow morning as strong winds have been forecast.
The reduced speed limit is not expected to affect many motorists as it is likely to be in place from 3am to 7am, but Highways England bosses say it could continue later in the day if high winds continue.
Highways England tweeted: "We will be looking to reduce speed limits on the bridge to 40mph at 3am tomorrow morning.
"Forecasts indicate the strong gusts will last until 7am.
"We will monitor the gust speeds and let you know when we return the bridge back to 60mph."
The speed limit on the bridge was also reduced on Saturday, October 2 as a yellow weather warning for strong winds and heavy rain was issued for the region.
Previously, the Orwell Bridge would have had to close to all traffic to protect high-sided vehicles from gusts as they travel over the bridge.
But new equipment, which allows officials to lower the speed limit temporarily, was brought in this year - greatly reducing the amount of times the bridge will have to close.
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Suffolk traffic map.
Join our Suffolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Suffolk.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role