Travellers move into car park in Stowmarket town centre
- Credit: Archant
Travellers have moved into a car park in Stowmarket, opposite the town's Asda store.
A local resident said he understood the caravans had arrived in the town-centre car park early on Friday.
The car park, on Iliffe Way, is operated by Mid Suffolk Council and is used by long-stay visitors to the Museum of East Anglian Life.
It is a pay and display car park and also has a recycling centre for bottles, cans and paper.
A spokesman for Asda in Stowmarket said the store had contacted the council about the travellers and they had also made Asda's head office aware of the situation.
Travellers previously moved on to the same piece of land during July 2015.
A spokesman for Mid Suffolk District Council said: "We are aware of a number of caravans and vehicles stopping at the car park on Iliffe Way in Stowmarket this weekend.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 7 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 8 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 9 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
"We are liaising with the travellers, including providing facilities to dispose of their waste safety, and keeping local councillors informed. We are following normal procedures for dealing with unauthorised encampments."