Tribute paid to Desmond Boyden, founder of Boyden’s estate agency
- Credit: Archant
Tribute has been paid to the founder of a north Essex estate agency who has died aged 86.
Desmond Boyden established the Boydens firm back in 1965 after working for chartered surveyor firms first in London and later in Colchester at CM Standford & Son.
Born in 1928 into a Quaker family which ran a house-building firm he lived all his life in Colchester.
After the Second World War he studied engineering and worked for Woods of Colchester before switching to surveying.
As a surveyor some of his deals included Essex County Council purchasing the Gooch estate to allow building of the University of Essex, the sale of the Layer Marney Tower to the Charrington family, and the sale of the St Osyth Priory.
You may also want to watch:
Desmond grew his business from its first office in Blackheath to the network it is today.
Desmond, who passed away peacefully on February 1, leaves a widow, Sheila, three sons, David, Julian and Gerald, and four grandchildren.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
Oldest son David said: “Father was very much a family man who devoted much of his time to building the family business. He was very proud of his three sons and was a great inspiration to me and my brothers.”
The funeral will be held at St Peter’s Church, North Hill, Colchester on February 27.