Tributes are paid to Janet Machon from Ixworth who died in a road accident
- Credit: Tom Potter
Tributes have been paid to a 79-year-old woman from Ixworth who died in a car accident on the A143 between her village and Great Barton.
Janet Machon had been driving a blue Suzuki Splash which was involved in a collision with a blue Ford Mondeo on the A143, Bury Road, at Pakenham, just before 4pm on Wednesday.
Yesterday, those who knew Ms Machon, who was a member of Ixworth Methodist Church and the Over 60s Club, said she would be “sadly and greatly missed”.
Ivy Baldry, church steward at the Methodist Church in Ixworth, said: “She was a regular worshipper at the chapel over many years and contributed to the life of the chapel and came to coffee mornings.”
Church Minister, Reverend Rita Carr, said: “It’s come as a terrible shock to the church fellowship and I know they will all miss her.”
You may also want to watch:
She added Ms Machon was a “quiet lady” who liked to chat at the end of the service.
Ken Davies, vice chairman of Ixworth Over 60s Club, said: “We knew her very, very well actually. It’s so sad.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 6 Woman's body found in village home
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
John Griffiths, borough councillor for Ixworth, had been caught up in the queue caused by the crash and said he was so sorry to hear it had become tragic.
“All my sympathies go to her family and friends. It’s a great loss for Ixworth and a very sad and tragic accident.”
Ms Machon was taken to West Suffolk Hospital where she died a short while later.
The drivers of two other vehicles that were in the vicinity of the collision, a Mercedes lorry and a silver Volkswagen Golf, are assisting police with their enquiries.
Officers would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the vehicles either prior to, or at the time of the collision.
Any witnesses are asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101 quoting CAD 297 of June 24.