Tributes keep flooding in for ‘lovely bloke’ Tony Woods who died at bike rally

Aldringham motorcycle enthusiast Tony Woods who died following an accident near Loch Ness. Picture:

Aldringham motorcycle enthusiast Tony Woods who died following an accident near Loch Ness. Picture: FRANCIS BARNETT OWNERS CLUB - Credit: Archant

The death of a much loved and respected Suffolk grandfather has been met with further tributes from the many people whose lives he touched.

Tony Woods, 72, is understood to have died after suffering a heart attack during a motorcycle rally near Loch Ness on Sunday.

His death was met with shock and sadness in his home village of Aldringham, near Leiston, where friends and neighbours described him as an “amazing” man “who would do anything for anyone”.

Tributes have continued to pour in over the days that followed.

The Rev Mark Lowther, of St Andrew’s Church in Aldringham, praised Mr Woods’ work with the parochial church council, organising Easter egg hunts and parish walks.

“If Tony took something on, he gave it 110%,” Mr Lowther said.

“He was a lovely bloke and really cared about people.”

Most Read

He said Mr Woods’ death would be felt by the community for some time to come, and offered his condolences to his wife Moira.

Like others in the village, Mr Lowther has taken some solace from the fact Mr Woods died doing what he loved.

“Tony was living life to the full right up to the last few seconds,” he added.

Mr Woods was involved in many aspects of village life, including delivering parish newsletters and co-ordinating Neighbourhood Watch.

He was said to have been instrumental in bringing the Rural Coffee Caravan to the village around 15 years ago.

Project chairman, Sally Fogden, said his death was a huge loss.

“Tony was one of the first to support the Rural Coffee Caravan and we have valued and relied upon his support through all these years,” she added.

The motorcycle community has also reacted with sadness to Mr Wood’s death. He had been attending the rally with the Francis-Barnett Owners Club, which he had been a member of for nearly 30 years.

Club secretary Ken Booth said Mr Woods was a “very good and careful rider”.

“He was a very caring person and on my first meeting with him he took me home and gave me a Sunday lunch,” he added.

“He will be missed by all of our club members.”

Emma Hall, chairman of the Highland Classic Motorcycle Rally, said: “Tony was very well thought of here and will be sorely missed at future rallies.”