Tributes to gas fumes victim
TRIBUTES have been paid to a young man who died after being overcome by gas fumes.Around 150 mourners gathered at the Lawshall Free Church to pay their final respects to Kelvin Massey, who died shortly before his 21st birthday on Sunday, October 18.
TRIBUTES have been paid to a young man who died after being overcome by gas fumes.
Around 150 mourners gathered at the Lawshall Free Church to pay their final respects to Kelvin Massey, who died shortly before his 21st birthday on Sunday, October 18.
The youngster died when he and his "inseparable" brother Kevin, 20, were overcome by fumes from a gas fire at home at the Bush Inn, Shimpling.
Despite only recently winning his own battle for life Kevin joined his parents Jo and Sue Massey and other close family and friends to say farewell to Kelvin.
You may also want to watch:
During yesterday's emotional service, Baptist minister and family friend David Steere told how Kelvin studied mechanical engineering after leaving St Benedict's Upper School, in Bury St Edmunds, but had recently decided to join the family business at the Bush Inn.
He described how the youngster enjoyed "Saturday night clubbing" with his brother and how the pair had been out together the night before they were found unconscious.
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
He also described his love for his pets Lottie, a wild cat he had adopted, and his new puppy Sydney.
Mr Steere also paid tribute to Kelvin's gentle nature, saying: "Kelvin was against all forms of aggression and he was never known to retaliate, however much provoked.
"He was never known to show anger and never lost his temper. He was a mild-mannered lad, though physically very strong."
Following the service Kelvin's body was buried at the Baptist Church, in Fressingfield, the village where he once lived and spent many happy days with his family.
As a result of the tragic accident Kelvin's brother Kevin was also left gravely ill. He spent five days in intensive care at the James Paget Hospital, Gorleston, fighting for his life.
He was discharged from hospital just over a week ago and has since made a remarkable progress since and is expected to make a full recovery.
He is now being cared for at home by his parents.