Trimley St Mary: Hunt for fugitive relaunched

SUFFOLK: An alleged Suffolk drink-driver accused of aggravated vehicle-taking is a fugitive for the second time today after a legal loophole led to his initial case being dropped.

Proceedings were then re-instigated against Arminas Karpovicius, formerly from Trimley St Mary, after he failed to answer police bail.

However, efforts to summons Karpovicius to court again following the withdrawal of the original charges, have culminated in him failing to turn up on two occasions.

A warrant is now out for his arrest, but it has emerged the address he gave Ipswich magistrates is a vacant industrial unit at an east London business park.

Karpovicius was originally taken into custody on March 8 after he allegedly damaged three cars in Trimley St Mary while said to be nearly four times the legal drink-drive limit.

You may also want to watch:

It is also alleged he did not have permission to drive the car. He was released on bail pending the results of a blood test.

Having fled police bail, he was found on September 29 living rough in a disused garage in the Ilford area.

Most Read

The Lithuanian national was brought before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court the following day and admitted failing to surrender to police custody, although charges of drink-driving and vehicle-taking ended up being withdrawn.

At the time, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had to drop the charges because the time limit to bring the case had expired.

A spokeswoman said it had no option as it was more than six months between Karpovicius’ arrest and his first court appearance.

Karpovicius was, however, fined �100 and ordered to pay a �15 victim surcharge for the custody charge and when he revealed he did not have the money magistrates ordered him to spend the rest of the day in the cells in lieu of payment, before being freed

Shortly afterwards, the CPS re-instigated proceedings against the 25-year-old by summonsing him to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on October 15 to be charged with aggravated vehicle taking for a second time.

Karpovicius failed to attend and a second summons was sent telling him to appear before Ipswich magistrates on Monday, but he did not turn up.

The Evening Star has discovered 3 Staffa Road, Leyton – the address Karpovicius gave to the court when he appeared on September 30 – is a vacant building. Planning permission was sought to turn the industrial unit into a warehouse during the summer.

n If you have any information about the whereabouts of Karpovicius, please contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus