Troy leads the way
TROY Batchelor has firmly taken charge of the Australian Championship series, after winning his second straight round in Mildura.In a carbon copy of Saturday's A final at Gillman, the Peterborough man beat Chris Holder, Darcy Ward and Rory Schlein to top the rostrum at Olympic Park.
TROY Batchelor has firmly taken charge of the Australian Championship series, after winning his second straight round in Mildura.
In a carbon copy of Saturday's A final at Gillman, the Peterborough man beat Chris Holder, Darcy Ward and Rory Schlein to top the rostrum at Olympic Park.
Batchelor finished his five heats with 12 points and did well to recover from a last place in heat 11, when he was beaten by Schlein, Justin Sedgmen and British youngster Josh Auty.
Grand Prix star Holder and Coventry racer Schlein topped the scoreboard in the qualifying races with 13 points.
You may also want to watch:
Holder was only beaten by Batchelor and Somerset teenager Sam Masters. Schlein also went directly through to the A final, with his only blemish being a third place behind Masters and Holder in heat seven.
Poole teenager Ward, who bagged nine points from his heats, reached the last four via the B final after beating Mark Lemon, Sedgmen and Tyron Proctor.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
This result gives Batchelor a four-point lead at the top of the championship standings over Holder. First or second spot at the final round in Newcastle next Saturday will be enough to secure the former Swindon man his first national crown.
SCORERS: Troy Batchelor 12+3, Chris Holder 13+2, Darcy Ward 9+3+1, Rory Schlein 13, Mark Lemon 8+2, Justin Sedgmen 8+1, Tyron Proctor 9, Cory Gathercole 8, Sam Masters 7, Cameron Woodward 7, Jason Doyle 7, Josh Auty 6, Alex Davies 4, James Holder 4, Josh Grajczonek 4, Robert Ksiezak 1.
CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS: Troy Batchelor 40, Chris Holder 36, Darcy Ward 34, Rory Schlein 32, Tyron Proctor 28, Justin Sedgmen 25, Cory Gathercole 24, Jason Doyle 23, Mark Lemon 21, Josh Auty 19, Cameron Woodward 19, Sam Masters 18, Alex Davies 16, James Holder 7, Robert Ksiezak 6, Josh Grajczonek 5.