Tudor manor damaged by fire

A TUDOR manor house has been badly damaged by smoke after a fire broke out in the chimney.

A TUDOR manor house has been badly damaged by smoke after a fire broke out in the chimney.

One elderly resident at Newbourne Hall in Mill Road, Newbourne, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation after the fire took hold just after 6.30pm yesterday.

A spokesperson for Suffolk Fire and Rescue described it as a “deep seated fire in the rafters”.

The ground floor and first floor are said to be heavily smoked logged.

Some areas of the hall are believed to date back to the 14th Century and it was once owned by Cardinal Wolsey and is associated with Queen Katherine Parr.

The late artist Peggy Somerville lived there before her death in 1975.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter