Tumble dryer safety advice given by firefighters after Stanway blaze

Tumble dryer blaze.

Tumble dryer blaze. - Credit: Archant

Tumble dryer safety advice has been issued to Essex residents after firefighters tackled a blaze.

An electrical fault in a tumble dryer caused a fire at a property in Cornflower Close, Stanway at around 6.20pm on Monday.

Two fire engines attended and crews used a hose reel jet to put out the fire within 10 minutes. There were no reported injuries.

After the blaze, a spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service issued the following advice:

- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions;


You may also want to watch:


- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended;

- Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff;

Most Read

- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling;

- Don’t overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.

The fire brigade spokesman added: “Additionally, you can also register your domestic appliances for free.

“If you did not register your appliances during Register My Appliance Day on Thursday, January 21, take just a few minutes to visit www.registermyappliance.org.uk.

“A specialist will contact you in case of any safety repairs or product recalls on your appliances.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus