Two charged with murder
TWO men extradited from Spain were yesterday charged with the murder of a man on his doorstep in a quiet seaside village in Essex. David Taylor, 40, and Peter Jones, 38, have been charged with the murder of John Ward, who was shot dead in St Osyth in March last year.
TWO men extradited from Spain were yesterday charged with the murder of a man on his doorstep in a quiet seaside village in Essex.
David Taylor, 40, and Peter Jones, 38, have been charged with the murder of John Ward, who was shot dead in St Osyth in March last year.
The unemployed men, both of no fixed address, appeared at Southend Magistrates' Court yesterday .
Essex Police's successful application for an extradition order which brought the men back to the UK and subsequent charges were the latest twist in the case and yesterday both the men were remanded in custody.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month, the trial of three other men accused of the 22-year-old's murder in Point Clear Road was halted due to the extradition, and they will now face a second trial.
Mr Ward died after he was allegedly hit by a shot fired through the front door of his family home.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
After his death, his family said he was a loving and caring man.
“John was the eldest of four children. He was planning with his fiancée his wedding.
“His family and fiancée are devastated by the cruel and quick way in which John was taken from them. We will always love him dearly,” they said.
The earlier trial was halted when police successfully tracked down the two men in Spain and extradition proceedings were started.
Vishnu Bhaskaran, of Mill Road, Colchester, Martin Valentine, of South Ockenden, and Steven Walker, of Fernwood Road, Holland-on-Sea, all denied murder, and the trial will start again on November.
Taylor and Jones will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court on Tuesday.