Search

Two men deny robbing and assaulting woman near subway in Southway, Colchester

12 July, 2017 - 17:00
Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Archant

Two men have denied robbing a woman who was allegedly held over railings near a subway in Colchester while her mobile phone and other belongings stolen.

Giving evidence during their trial, Michael Taylor and Bradley Williams told a jury at Ipswich Crown Court the alleged victim had failed to pass on £10 that had been given to her by Williams to give to Taylor.

Taylor said he had seen the woman leave her accommodation in Colchester and had asked her where his money was.

He said Williams had then had an altercation with the woman near the railings of a subway in Southway, Colchester during which they had pushed each other.

Taylor claimed he “froze” and had not been involved in the incident.

He also denied going through the woman’s pockets and then rugby tackling her to the ground.

Williams admitted pushing the woman and grabbing her by the scruff of the neck, but denied going through her pockets and robbing her.

Williams, 21, formerly of Buxton Road, Colchester and now of Maldon Court, Sudbury and Taylor, 24, of Walsingham Road, Colchester have denied robbing and assaulting the alleged victim causing her actual bodily harm.

Judge David Goodin has directed the jury to return a not guilty verdict on the assault charge in relation to Williams. A third defendant, a 16-year-old girl, who cannot be identified because of her age, has admitted the assault charge.

The court has heard the alleged victim was walking to a cashpoint and was about to go into a subway in Southway, Colchester when she was allegedly set upon by Williams and Taylor.

Williams allegedly grabbed her by the neck before holding her over railings to the subway over a large drop.

While she was being held over the railings Taylor had allegedly taken items from her pockets, including her passport, keys, mobile phone and a bank card.

She had then been taken to the floor and had her head banged against the pavement several times by a 16-year-old girl and suffered a cut to her head and bruising.

The trial continues tomorrow, July 13.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times