Two men overdose outside Bury pub

PARAMEDICS were called after two men suffered a suspected drugs overdose at a Suffolk pub.

PARAMEDICS were called after two men suffered a suspected drugs overdose at a Suffolk pub.

The drama unfurled at Bar 3 in Risbygate Street in Bury St Edmunds at about 11.30pm on Friday night.

Those at the pub became concerned after it emerged two men were in a semi-conscious state in the rear courtyard of the pub, which is owned by the Bury-based brewing and pub firm Greene King.

Management at the pub, which has a late license, called in the emergency services and closed early a short while later because of the incident.


You may also want to watch:


It is believed the two men had taken an overdose of the drug Ketamine. Although Ketamine is usually used by vets as an animal tranquiliser, some people use it as a recreational drug to bring about hallucinations and a dissociative state.

One person who was in the pub said the two men were barely conscious and added that both the police and paramedics arrived at the scene to look after the two men.

Most Read

A spokeswoman for Greene King said the licensee had voluntarily closed the premises early that night because of the incident rather than being compelled to by the police.

She added the two men were not regulars at the pub and said the bar was back open and trading as usual the following day.

A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service confirmed the two men were seen by paramedics because of a suspected drugs overdose and were taken to West Suffolk Hospital in the town for treatment.

It is unclear whether the pair are still at the hospital or were later discharged.

A spokesman for the police said they were called to the bar by paramedics to ensure public safety whilst the ambulance crew went about its duties.

Simon Aalders, coordinator of the Suffolk Drug and Alcohol Action Team, said his unit had seen an increase in experimentation with ketamine recently.

“It is seen as a party drug. Its use has become a little more widespread than it was. It is a horse tranquiliser and not actually for human consumption. Our advice would be that people should avoid it in the first place. If people do take it then they should definitely not drink alcohol as well and they should stay around someone who can help them out either physically or psychologically if they get into trouble.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus