Two people killed in A12 collision
TWO people were killed last night after they were involved in a collision with a car on the A12 in Suffolk.The collision, between a Renault and the two pedestrians - believed to be an elderly couple - happened just before 6pm at Darsham, near Yoxford.
TWO people were killed last night after they were involved in a collision with a car on the A12 in Suffolk.
The collision, between a Renault and the two pedestrians - believed to be an elderly couple - happened just before 6pm at Darsham, near Yoxford.
The tragedy brings the number of people killed on the county's roads this year to 45 - nine more than in the whole of 2005.
Emergency services pronounced the man dead at the scene while the woman died later after being airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
The driver of the Renault is not believed to have suffered any injuries, although they were treated for shock.
The road was still closed at 10pm last night while accident investigators cleared the wreckage and examined the crash site.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 4 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 5 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
The elderly couple will not be named by police until the next of kin have been informed, which is expected to be some time today.
A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “A road traffic collision occurred on the A12 at Darsham between a Renault car and two pedestrians. One of the pedestrians, a male, was pronounced dead at the scene.”
He confirmed that a female was airlifted to hospital and died as a result of critical injuries.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire Service said crews from Saxmundham, Halesworth and Lowestoft attended.
A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service said two ambulances attended along with two fast responder cars.
Last week Suffolk County Council launched a hard-hitting campaign in a bid to stem the rising number of deaths on the county's roads in the run up to Christmas.
Anyone with information about the accident should call Suffolk police on 01473 613500.