Two riders released by Fen Tigers
MILDENHALL Funky Catering Fen Tigers have acted on recent poor away performances by releasing Mark Thompson and Gary Cottham.Thompson has been struggling for form, especially away from home, and will be replaced by 23-year-old Luke Priest who comes in to the team on a 7.
MILDENHALL Funky Catering Fen Tigers have acted on recent poor away performances by releasing Mark Thompson and Gary Cottham.
Thompson has been struggling for form, especially away from home, and will be replaced by 23-year-old Luke Priest who comes in to the team on a 7.39 average after being released by Premier League side Workington last week.
Cottham, who is on the injured list, has been replaced by Peterborough-based Darren Smith who is making a competitive racing comeback after a five year break from the sport and comes in to the team with an average of 3.83.
The 28-year-old, who is the brother of King's Lynn and former Fen Tiger Jamie, said: “I am really pleased to be back at Mildenhall and am looking forward to the meeting on Sunday. I am sure I will be a bit nervous to start with, especially with my brother racing for the opposition, but know that I am capable of scoring points at this level.
“I have invested over the winter on new equipment and have been having regular second halves to get race practice.”
Team Manager John Adams said: “We felt that changes needed to happen after the performance at the Isle of Wight and we have made these for the good of Mildenhall speedway. Luke is a lad I have worked with at Stoke and he is dead keen to get amongst the points for us and I have every confidence in him.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 Town take up option on Tyreece Simpson... plus two other youngsters update
- 5 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 6 Police release picture of man after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 7 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 8 New curator appointed at Suffolk tourist attraction
- 9 Suffolk celebrates! Full list of county's 185 street parties for the Queen's jubilee
- 10 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
“With Darren we have a rider that has been on the phone after a team place since Christmas, he has good equipment and is keen as mustard to ride for Mildenhall.
“I never like releasing anyone and we certainly have not fallen out with either of the riders we have let go. We wish them all the best for the future but we had to do it this week before the next green sheet averages which come out on Monday”.
The full Mildenhall team riding order will be announced in due course.