Two suffer effects of smoke after motorbike set on fire in stairwell of flats in Halstead
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Two people were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after a motorbike was set on fire in a block of flats in Halstead.
Firefighters were called to the blaze, at Trinity Court, just after midnight on Tuesday.
Thick smoke engulfed the stairwell – making it difficult to use the fire escape.
A small number of ground floor residents made their way outside, and firefighters told remaining residents to follow ‘stay put’ procedures by remaining inside.
Firefighters extinguished the fire by 1.10am.
You may also want to watch:
Incident commander Lee Lucas said: “The fire was caused by a motorcycle which had been left in the ground floor stairwell and set alight. As the tyres began to burn it produced a thick black smoke which made visibility inside the building’s stairwell impossible.
“Residents on the upper floors did the right thing by following our ‘stay put’ advice for high rise buildings.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
Two people were treated for suffered smoke inhalation.