UK: Five arrested near nuclear site
FIVE men are today being held under the Terrorism Act after being arrested near the Sellafield nuclear site in Cumbria.
Police confirmed they were detained at 4.32pm yesterday following a stop check on a vehicle by officers from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary (CNC).
The five, all in their 20s and from London, were arrested under the Terrorism Act, a spokesman for Cumbria Police said.
They were held in police custody overnight before being taken to Manchester this morning.
An investigation is now under way by the North West Counter Terrorism Unit.
You may also want to watch:
A CNC spokesman refused to say whether security had been stepped up at Sizewell B as a result.
He added: “They [the management] don’t wish to give out details of their management meetings.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 9 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 10 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
“But we want to assure people that the CNC does review policing and security arrangements as part of constant improvements.
“We do that to ensure we’re working in a robust and effective manner, now and in the future.”