Update: Blaze at Woodbridge leather company treated as suspicious
INVESTIGATORS are treating a blaze at a leather company in Woodbridge as suspicious.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were alerted to reports of the blaze at Gibbins of Suffolk in Deben Road, Woodbridge, just after midnight.
Two appliances from Woodbridge and Ipswich East were sent to the scene but called for back-up on arrival, with another five crews mobilised including the command unit.
The commercial building was 40m x 7m and two-storeys tall and is used as a tannery.
Up to 30 firefighters worked in partnership with Network Rail, due to the close proximity of the flames to railway lines, and the Environment Agency, to ensure run off did not unnecessarily run into local waterways.
After three hours the flames were brought under control with crews using three hose reels, two jets and two hydrants.
Only one fire crew remains on the scene damping down hotspots.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
A Suffolk police spokeswoman confirmed the blaze is being treated as suspicious.
She added: “The site will be secured until the fire investigation team arrive.”
Police investigators are due to arrive at the premises on Sun Wharf later today.